Please find the forms required for providing consent for your child to attend a school trip, visit or excursion. These forms will normally be accompanied by a letter and a copy of the form. Please only download and use the website version if your son or daughter has lost their version and you need to hand it in to school urgently. Otherwise please ask the school for a paper based version of the original trip consent form that is relevant to your child’s visit, trip or excursion.
Term Dates 2016-2017
|Autumn 2016||Thursday, September 1 2016||Friday, October 21 2016|
|Half Term||Monday, October 24 2016||Friday, October 28 2016|
|Autumn 2016||Monday, October 31 2016||Friday, December 16 2016|
|Christmas Holidays||Monday, December 19, 2016||Friday, December 30, 2016|
|Spring 2017||Tuesday, January 3, 2017 (due to New Year’s Day bank hol)||Friday, February 17 2017|
|Half Term||Monday, February 20 2017||Friday, February 24, 2017|
|Spring 2017||Monday, February 26 2017||Friday, April 7, 2017|
|Easter holidays||Monday, April 10, 2017||Friday, April 21, 2017|
|Summer 2017||Monday, April 24, 2017||Friday, May 26, 2017|
|Half term||Monday, May 29, 2017||Friday, June 2, 2017|
|Summer 2017||Monday, June 5, 2017||Friday, July 21, 2017|
* All schools will be closed on the New Year’s Day Bank Holiday on Monday, January 2, 2017
**All schools will be closed on the May Day Bank Holiday on Monday, May 1, 2017
- Thursday & Friday 1st & 2nd September 2016 – Admin & Skills
- Friday 21st October 2016 – Pre-Inspection Planning
- Monday 3rd July 2017 – Teaching & Learning
1 additional day is being held in reserve – date to be confirmed.
Term Dates 2017-2018Untitled Document
|Term / Holiday||First Day||Last Day|
|Autumn Term||Monday, September 4, 2017||Friday, October 27, 2017|
|Autumn Half Term|
|Autumn Term||Monday, November 6, 2017||Friday, December 22, 2017|
|Spring Term||Monday, January 8, 2018||Friday, February 16, 2018|
|Spring Half Term|
|Spring Term||Monday, February 26, 2018||Thursday, March 29, 2018|
|Summer Term||Monday, April 16, 2018||Friday, May 25, 2018|
|Summer Half Term|
|Summer Term||Monday, June 4th, 2018||Tuesday, July 24, 2018|
Examinations and reports
Aberdare Community School offers a range of external examinations to pupils. The following dates are for WJEC based courses:
- WJEC Winter External A/S, A Level and GCSE Examinations take place in early to mid January. Limited entries are made for these exams.
- WJEC Summer External GCSE Examinations begin in May and continue until late June.
- WJEC Summer External A/S & A Level Examinations begin in May and continue until late June.
- Some practical examinations and oral and listening based examinations may be taken before these dates during the Spring Term and Art exams also feature during this time. Details will be issued to pupils as necessary and as they arise.
- Individual personalised pupil examination timetables will be issued during the Spring Term for terminal exams taken during the summer.
Examination Board Links
Most pupils take examinations from the WJEC. Links to the exam board are detailed below. These are useful for looking at information about specifications, past paper resources and the online examination review (OER) for examination preparation.
- Morning exams start at 8.45am
- Afternoon exams start at 12.30pm
You must arrive at school by 8.30am for the morning sessions and by 12.15pm for the afternoon sessions, dependent on the length of your examination. Always check with the examination officer Mrs J. Purslow about exam start times. (Do not follow the advice on the timetable slip of 9:15 am and 1:30 pm start times – these are national times and not school based times)
- School uniform must be worn for all examinations.
- All answers, unless otherwise stated on the examination paper, are to be written in BLACK ball point pen.
- You MUST NOT have a mobile phone on your person in the examination room, whether switched on or not.
- Any absence from an examination, owing to ill health, must be certified by a Doctor’s note and forwarded to the school as soon as possible.
- You are NOT allowed to talk or communicate with another candidates in any way during the examination.
- Anyone engaged in unfair practice will be dealt with according to the rules of the exam board and this may have serious implications for all of your examinations, not just the paper you are sitting at that time.
In the event of an emergency you must phone the school and inform us of your circumstances; the school telephone number is 01685 888500.
The revision guide and advice to parents sections will help to provide support for pupils as we begin the 2016 exam series.
Parents’ Days / Evenings
All dates are provisional and are subject to change. Notification will be given to parents, as required, via text message and on the news area of the website when changes occur and as reminders for these events, which will be issued by letter, text message and on the website, as necessary Unless otherwise stated all events will take place at the school.
|Year 5/6||Thursday 6th October 2016|
|Year 7||Thursday 29th September 2016 (with form tutors only) & Thursday 25th May 2017|
|Year 8||Thursday 2nd March 2017|
|Year 9||Thursday 9th February 2017|
|Year 10||Thursday 26th January 2017|
|Year 11||Thursday 20th October 2016 & Thursday 2nd February (Post-16 Options Choices)|
|Year 12/13||Thursday 8th December 2016 (TBC)|
Year 5 & 6 Transition days for 2016/17
- Year 6 Taster Days: 29th & 30th September 2016;
- Year 6 Transition Days: 29th & 30th June 2017;
- Year 5 Taster Days: 6th & 7th July 2017
Visits & Events
- Year 11 Geography: Leisure & Tourism trip – Tuesday 20th September
- MFL Department European Languages Events during the week of 26th – 30th September
- Year 12 A/S Geography Trip – Friday 30th September
- Year 10 Geography Fieldwork Trip – Thursday 6th October
- Year 12 A/S Geography Trip – Monday 10th October
- Year 11 Media Studies Film Workshop – Wednesday 12th October
- Performing Arts & Drama Department: Shakespeare Festival Events during the week of 18th – 20th October
- Year 11 Geography: Leisure & Tourism trip – Tuesday 18th October